U15A Hurlers win Division 1 Féile Final



(Match Report by Diarmuid Coogan.)

Neighbouring clubs Kilmacud Crokes and St. Johns played out a very competitive Division 1 Féile Final at Parnell Park on Saturday April 30th. For Crokes, this was very much about “Deliverance Day” as this group of players have been highly rated but lost the Dublin U14 Cup Final to Ballyboden last October.

In a “cagey” 1st half, Ballinteer were 1st to score when half forward Mossy Taylor pointed but Crokes replied in the next 10 minutes with frees from corner forward Conall Criostoir and centre back Rory Flannery. (KC 0-2 BSJ 0-1).

On 22 minutes, Flannery drove a long free out of defence which Criostoir “plucked” out of the air before hand passing to half forward Ronan McNamara who evaded a defender on his way to hitting a very nice point from 20 metres. (KC 0-3 BSJ 0-1)

Ballinteer then cranked up their effort and could have been in for a goal on 24 minutes but goalkeeper Conor Coogan did well to cut out a long ball and clear. A minute later there was a scramble in the Crokes goal mouth but Flannery used all of his strength to “jab lift” in a scrum of bodies and clear to safety. Midfielder Ben O’Mahoney scored from a 65 on 26 minutes to narrow the gap to 1. They could have gone ahead on 27 minutes when full forward Darragh Browne was through on goal but Coogan saved and the danger cleared.

On 29 minutes, O’Mahoney levelled matters with a free from 30 metres and much to the delight of the enthusiastic Ballinteer supporters, he put them into the lead a minute later with a great free from 65 metres. (KC 0-3 BSJ 0-4)

Crokes rallied to regain the momentum and were awarded a free around the half way mark. Flannery stepped up and ominously sent it straight between the posts and high over the cross bar. (KC 0-4 BSJ 0-4)


Crokes attacked from the start of the 2nd ½ and when tigerish right wing forward Connie O’Sullivan had his shot well saved by goalkeeper Robert O’Brien, corner forward Cian Moriarty gathered and tapped over an important point. (KC 0-5 BSJ 0-4)

Following the puck out, Crokes had an anxious moment as there was a scramble in their goalmouth but full back, Lochlainn “the Horse” Kennedy, did brilliantly to clear the danger.

In the next 5 minutes, Crokes set up some good scoring opportunities but were guilty of trying to “walk it into the net” when there were easy points on offer! However Flannery stepped up to nail a free from 65 metres. (KC 0-6 BSJ 0-4)

There was a scramble for the ball from the puck out and O’Sullivan picked up and passed left to hard running centre forward Fintan Lydon; Lydon soloed for 20 metres before striking a fine point from left of the “D”. (KC 0-7 BSJ 0-4)

The tide had been turning Crokes way as combative midfielders Finnian Donohoe and Eoghan O’Donovan were making clean catches but also winning “dirty ball” and half backs James Ryan, Rian Robertson and Flannery were closing down any Ballinteer attacks and turning over possession.

On 41 minutes, Flannery scored another free to extend the lead to 4. (KC 0-8 BSJ 0-4)

2 minutes later, Ryan made a great clearance on the left wing which was brilliantly fielded by McNamara who was duly fouled on the side line just inside the Ballinteer 45. Criostoir’s radar was in as he “arrowed” it through the posts! (KC 0-9 BSJ 0-4)

In the 44th minute, U14 Sub full forward Ryan Crowley made a terrific catch on the edge of the square and turned but instead of “blasting it”, he tried to lob the keeper “Panenka style” but O’Brien managed to batt it out to his left where Moriarty did very well to regain the ball and feed O’Sullivan who hit a tidy point! (KC 0-10 BSJ 0-4)

Ballinteer won the puck out and attacked through Taylor and O’Mahoney and centre forward Conor Quinn. They were rewarded when O’Mahoney scored a free to claw back the lead. (KC 0-10 BSJ 0-5)

On 48 minutes, Donohoe fielded a high ball on the right and passed inside to Lydon who ran hard at the defence before being fouled on the D. Criostoir duly restored Crokes’ lead to 6 (KC 0-11 BSJ 0-5)

Quinn won possession from the puck out and ran to the left before striking a brilliant point from 30 metres. (KC 0-11 BSJ 0-6)

On 52 minutes, Flannery won a puck out on the right side line on ½ way with defenders ahead of him; he turned and demonstrated great vision to hit a diagonal cross field ball to sub forward Matthew O’Rafferty. In his 1st touch of the game, O’Rafferty made a high catch and hit a lovely point from the 20 metres on the left side line! (KC 0-12 BSJ 0-6)

Ballinteer rallied desperately in search of a goal to rescue the game and sent in some long frees but Kennedy, ably assisted by corner backs Daithi Linehan, Thomas Ambrose and later Conor Kennedy(sub) averted a few dangerous moments.

On 55 minutes Flannery scored a free from his own 65 metre line and then won the resulting puck out on the right; he was immediately “enveloped” by Ballinteer players but he managed to release a brilliant hand pass forward which O’Sullivan was able to run onto and calmly stroke over the bar from 45 metres for one of the scores of the game! (KC 0-14 BSJ 0-6)

Flannery added another free on 57 minutes before midfielder Tommy Cullen hit a fine point from the left for Ballinteer and after Quinn was fouled on 20 metres following a great run, O’Mahoney went for goal from the free but the Crokes defence batted the sliothar out to safety. (KC 0-15 BSJ 0-7)

In the 60m minute, Quinn hit another point for Ballinteer and the Crokes mentors may have had a few anxious moments as referee Ian Howley signalled at least 5 minutes injury time. Ballinteer kept playing in search of a goal and in the 5th minute of injury time it seemed that their efforts had been rewarded when a long free was deflected into the net.

However, in a sign that this just wasn’t there day, the goal was ruled out for “square ball”.

Coogan pucked out long and the sliothar was worked to Criostoir in space around the D and he tapped over for the final score of the game after 66 minutes. (KC 0-16 BSJ 0-8)

As the final whistle sounded, the overriding emotion among the Crokes players and supporters was relief as much as joy. The defeat last October to ‘Boden in the U14 Final had been a major motivational factor and finally that “ghost was put to rest”!! For Captain James Ryan, it was a proud moment for his extended family as his cousin Cormac Keys captained the last Crokes team which won the Dublin Feile in 2014!



Kilmacud Crokes: R.Flannery 0-6(6 f), C.Criostoir  0-4 (3f) C.O’Sullivan 0-2, C.Moriarty, F.Lydon,R.McNamara, M.O’Rafferty 0-1 each.

Ballinteer St.Johns: B.O’Mahoney 0-4 (3 f, 65), C.Quinn 0-2, M.Taylor, T.Cullen 0-1 each.

KILMACUD CROKES: C.Coogan, D.Linehan, L.Kennedy, T.Ambrose, R.Robertson,R.Flannery, J.Ryan(Capt), E.O’Donovan, F.Donnohoe,C.O’Sullivan,F.Lydon,R.McNamara,C.Moriarty,T.Curtin, C.Criostoir.

Subs: Jonathan Axelsson(for D.Linehan), Joe Tuliani (for , Ryan Crowley (for T.Curtin 30 mins), Matthew O’Rafferty(for C.Moriarty 50 mins), Ross Gargan(for C.O’Sullivan 55 mins),Hugh Brosnan(for , Conor Kennedy( for T.Ambrose 40 mins).

Ballinteer St.Johns:


Subs: Ronan Murphy, Cathal O’Bric, Tadhg Smith, Oisín Dooley, Mark Power, Cillian Noonan, Finn Nathan, Finn O’Sullivan.



KILMACUD CROKES Ard Bainisteoir Ros Criostoir:

“The lads gave a magnificent performance today, particularly in the second half. They are a credit to themselves, their families and the club. This is something that will give them memories together for the rest of their lives and it is well deserved. Maith sibh a bhuachaillí!”


Kilmacud Crokes boys Feile Hurling and Football teams were sponsored by Spirit Motor Group, The Panel Search & Selection and Immedis.

Speaking on behalf of the sponsors, Jim Ryan (Spirit and U15 hurling mentor):

“On behalf of the 3 sponsors, we’re delighted to be involved with such a fine group of young men and congratulations to all the Crokes teams, both hurling and football, who took part in this years Feile.”

Photos from the day : https://photos.app.goo.gl/yLQB9PDFjm5U8K2P7